Monday, November 13, 2006

Prospero's Daughter

Prospero's Daughter by Elizabeth Nunez

Elizabeth Nunez is a faculty member at CUNY and had a book reading a couple weeks ago. Partly as an effort to kiss up to some senior folks at work *lol* I picked up the book to read before the event. And COULD NOT put it down. Only afterwards did I realize I have three other book by her, but just never got around to reading them.

Its based on the love story The Tempest, but her spin is set in Trinidad in the 60s. Side note, I've never read The Tempest and this book is still very enjoyable. Anyway, its a story of an English girl and her Dad who are living in Trinidad and the love that develops between her and Carlos, a native of the island. As can be expected, this relationship doesn't sit well with her father, and he goes to an extreme length to attempt to keep them apart. Within the story, it looks at the effects of colonialism, racism and class. I definitely need to go back to my collection and read her other books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home